August 16, 2011 | SQL Server

Cumulative Update #2 for SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 is available

Last night Microsoft has released Cumulative Update #2 for SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1. The build # is 10.50.2772 and it contains 14 fixes, a few of which are wrong-results bugs or cases of access violations.

You can download the update here:

KB #2567714 : Cumulative update package 2 for SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1

It was also mentioned on the SQL Server Release Services blog. It seems to be implied that some of these fixes were included in CUs 7 or 8 for RTM but were left out of SP1 and SP1 CU1, but I haven't validated that by performing a diff.

My necessary disclaimer these days: This update is NOT for SQL Server 2008, and it is NOT for SQL Server 2008 R2 RTM.

• Gene - August 16, 2011, 6:32 PM

Hi Aaron,
      Do you know if Microsoft will be releasing a patch for SQL Server 2005 SP4 CU4 soon, if at all.  I do not like patching SQL Server with out of band releases like the one WSUS tried to push in June.
      Gene

• AaronBertrand - August 16, 2011, 6:39 PM

Gene, sorry I do not have inside information about when the updates are coming out (and if I did, I wouldn't be able to share it anyway :-)). They are *usually* ~60 days apart for each mainline, however 2005 SP4 hasn't had a cumulative update since March. That was CU3; there isn't a CU4 (yet).

• Daniel - August 17, 2011, 1:56 AM

Hi Aaron,
      I requested the update, got the e-mail but the link pointing to the .exe file doesn't work. Have you experienced such issue?

• Aaron Bertrand - August 17, 2011, 2:18 AM

It did not fail for me, but yes, you're not alone. Thaey're aware of the issue and are working on it. I think some of the servers in the farm are ok, so keep trying (maybe from a different network, as your current IP might be "stuck" to a bad server).

• ALZDBA - August 17, 2011, 10:00 AM

Daniel,
      I've had to retry the download a couple of times to get it started. Once downloaded the extract and install went fine.
      Johan

• Peter - August 17, 2011, 12:09 PM

Regarding SQL Server 2005 SP4.  Since Mainstream Support has ended, there are nomally only security updates provided in Extended Support with non-security hotfixes available only with the purchase of an "Extended Hotfix Support Agreement". See http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/