SQL Server 2008 SP1 Cumulative Update 1 is available!
If you were among those who installed CU4 for SQL Server 2008, then installed SP1, you may not know that you lost some of the fixes that came with CU4 (see Bob Ward's post which is slightly more informative than the release notes).
Microsoft today released a post-SP1 cumulative update that adds back all of these fixes. There is nothing else included, so there is no reason to install this CU if you are at SP1 and got there from RTM or one of the CUs. There is always some confusion about the servicing model and what to do when the cumulative update and service pack schedules collide. Here is a summary in this case (the most important one being the first item):
- If you are currently on SP1 (2531), and upgraded from any build <= 1787, do nothing.
- If you are currently on SP1 (2531), and upgraded from any build > 1787 and < 2520, apply SP1 CU1 (2710).
- If you are currently on the SP1 CTP (2520), apply SP1 (2531).
- If you are currently on CU4 (1798), or any interim build > 1787 and < 2520, you should install SP1 (2531) and then SP1 CU1 (2710).
- If you are currently on RTM (1600), CU1 (1763), CU2 (1779), CU3 (1787), or any other build < 1787, you should install SP1 (2531).
- If you are not sure which bullet applies to you, please ask!
How do you tell what build you upgraded from? Well, hopefully you remember; if not, you should be able to tell from the most recent set of setup log files in "%Program Files%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\" … the file summary.txt has a section called "Product features discovered" and you should be able to find the instance(s) you patched last time, and the version will be listed under the section "Database Engine Services."
You can download the new CU here:
And from there you will find links and descriptions of the list of fixes.
If you're still confused about the SQL Server servicing model, don't worry, you're not alone. Browse Bob Ward's blog starting with the link provided above, and also see KB #935897.
CU3 for SQL Server 2008 SP1 to be precise
ne idea when will the CU3 for SQL Server 2008 be made available for download. I was told by MS support that it would be available today. Where is it likely to be present?
Yes it is kind of a mess isn't it. Just wait until SP2 is released and they are still supporting hotfixes/CUs for both RTM and SP1. That bullet list above is going to multiply like mogwai at the beach.
Holy crap, just apply them all (in order). I'm not trying to figure this out!
Confusion, this is the right word – Confusion update package 1 for SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1.