August 6, 2008 | SQL Server

SQL Server 2008 has RTM'd, and free trial software now available

According to a few sources (e.g. Gail Shaw and Brian Randell), Microsoft announced today at TechEd South Africa that SQL Server 2008 has RTM'd. For those that aren't aware, this just means that the code has been signed off, not that it is being placed on store shelves today.  It takes some time to manufacture and distribute media, so I am not sure when it will be available at the retail level.  But the download ISOs are available from MSDN Subscriber Downloads and TechNet Subscriber Downloads right now!  You will notice that the following editions are available: Developer, Standard, Enterprise, Web and Workgroup.  I'll be watching for the availability of Express Edition, which is absent from the list at this time.  Also note that if you are using IA64, the only editions available to you are Enterprise and Developer.  Not sure if that is temporary or permanent, or for how many of you that might actually be relevant…

And if you aren't one of the lucky ones with an MSDN or TechNet subscription, 180-day trial software (Enterprise Evaluation Edition) is available here.  You will also find links to demos and virtual labs, where you can get a taste for the new version without having to download or install anything.

For those interested in the build #, @@VERSION returns:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (RTM) – 10.0.1600.22 (Intel X86)
    Jul  9 2008 14:43:34

• andyleonard - August 6, 2008, 8:14 PM

Beat me to it!
      :{> Andy

• andyleonard - August 6, 2008, 8:15 PM

It's on MSDN now – downloading as I type.

• DonRWatters - August 6, 2008, 8:50 PM

I knew it had to be coming soon, because the SQL Server team had been really quiet lately…it's always the calm before the storm when releases are about to come.

• cinahcaM madA - August 6, 2008, 9:09 PM

So much for the RC1…

• Todd Robinson - August 6, 2008, 9:10 PM

Downloading as I comment!

• Chris Wood - August 6, 2008, 9:47 PM

What is the version build number?
      Chris

• AaronBertrand - August 6, 2008, 9:59 PM

Adam:
      Yes, I barely had any time to play with RC1.  But I'm not complaining!  🙂
      Chris:
      Don't know yet.  Downloads aren't THAT fast.  But why is the build number important?

• Chris Wood - August 6, 2008, 10:21 PM

Just curious.

• AaronBertrand - August 6, 2008, 10:30 PM

It's a strange thing that so many people seem to need to know what the version number is, so when I get a chance, I always ask why it matters.
      When the product has been released and there have been service packs and hotfixes, obviously it is important to know the build number of those incremental releases, cumulative updates, GDRs etc., for compatibility reasons.  Personally I wish RTM always started with x.0.0 (in this case 10.0.0).

• Chris Wood - August 6, 2008, 11:30 PM

Aaron,
      I was just trying to compare with the RC0 and post RC0 versions I had seen on Connect.
      You are right in that RTM should be 10.0.0.
      Notice how 2000 was 8.0.194 and 2005 was 9.0.1399.06 and this will be well over 10.0.1400
      Chris

• AaronBertrand - August 6, 2008, 11:45 PM

Okay, so that is something.  But let's say a post-RC0 build was 1500.  And let's say you find out that RTM was 1520.  What does that tell you?  Does it tell you anything different than if RTM was 1528, or 1588, or 1602?  I used to try and gauge things like this too, but you really have no idea how many units of work go into an individual build increment, or what area they went toward.
      FWIW, sqlservr.exe is the same version # as the private build you see listed on Connect, 10.0.1600.22 . . .

• Paul Nielsen - August 7, 2008, 12:00 AM

So tonight's the big RTM clean machine rebuild. Should I go again with Vista x64, or move up to WinServer 2008 x64? any advice?

• Chris Wood - August 7, 2008, 12:01 AM

I don't have access to MSDN downloads but BOL is available from the download centre and it was 1600.22
      Chris

• AaronBertrand - August 7, 2008, 1:04 AM

Paul,
      I've been quite happy with Server 2008, even on Apple hardware, where I can't get all the drivers (e.g. for the video card in the MacBook Pro… the display is great but I think if I had the correct drivers it would be better).  As long as you can live without a Cisco VPN client, since they announced they won't build or support one (my only real roadblock).  But that is x64-wide, not just Server.  Any reason you'd rather run Vista?

• Paul Nielsen - August 7, 2008, 4:47 AM

Aaron,
      I'm running Vista x64 and overall I like it, but as an independent without a day to day production box, if I'm to get any experience on WinServer 2008 it has to be on my sandbox developer notebook. And I want to play with HyperX. Vista hosting VPS hosting Vista running SQL 2008 was very very slow.So I'm plannign on installign Server x64 unless anyone has a good reason not to.

• Chris Wood - August 7, 2008, 2:23 PM

As a side benefit we should be seeing work on SQL2005 SP3 soon.

• Jayaram Krishnaswamy - August 14, 2008, 1:35 AM

I downloaded the evaluation copy but it seems to require a Product Key. Some one suggested (probably was not jesting) to use all zeros. This did not work. Can you provide a reliable URL which has a link to the evaluation copy download.
      The one I used was this:
      I down load from this section:
      Download SQL Server 2008 Enterprise 180-day Evaluation
      Download it now..-> button
      This takes you to this link[Evaluate Microsoft SQL Server 2008 today]:
      Drop-down selection: Select Your Language(Country)
      Choose English(United States)
      Hit on the > button
      Start downloading Takes about an hour or so on cable:
      When I launch after the down load I get a message asking me the Product Key. I have posted to MSDN forum.

• Jayaram Krishnaswamy - August 16, 2008, 6:43 PM

The problem was with the Download Manager's Launch method.
      I finally unpacked the ISO using WinRar. WinRar a great tool.
      Details posted to my blog.